These cottages beside the ford and sideways onto The Street were purchased by George Smith for the price of £180 in 1886. George began the large-scale commercial production of Ewelme watercress (see Watercress Beds). He enlarged the beds behind the cottages by incorporating some of their garden. The cottages later became derelict and Yew Tree House was built on this site in the 1970s. This became home to the Dix family who were instrumental in the restoration of the Watercress Beds.
Verandah Cottage can be seen on the other side of The Street. It is now known as La Welme.